Artwork Description / Detail
For nearly four and a half decades Kilbryde was one of the jewels in Auckland’s real estate crown. Built in 1881 for the father of Auckland, Sir John Logan Campbell, and named after his ancestral castle in Scotland, the gracious Italianate mansion occupied a prime position in Parnell looking out across the harbour.
Kilbryde was set in beautiful gardens – Logan Campbell himself cleared the scrubby land and planted hundreds of trees and shrubs in his spare time – and featured a ballroom and cantilevered minstrel’s gallery.
Logan Campbell had chosen to construct Kilbryde from masonry and he decorated it sparsely.
Sadly, the home only had a lifespan of 43 years. After Logan Campbell died in 1912 Kilbryde was sold to the Auckland Harbour Board. It was demolished in 1924 when much of the cliff at Campbell’s Point that it was situated upon was carved away for the new railway link through the eastern suburbs, the Tamaki Drive, and for fill for the harbour reclamations in the 1920s.
Only a section of the garden remains to this day as part of the Dove Myer Robinson Park and the Parnell Rose Gardens.