Artwork Description / Detail
George Henry Laporte was a sporting painter whose work included depictions of all aspects of country life: hunting, racing, shooting and animal subjects. He was the son and pupil of the distinguished watercolourist John Laporte (1761-1839).
Laporte exhibited at the Royal Academy from 1821 to 1850, The British Institute, RBA and the New Watercolour Society. Laporte was a founding member of the Royal Society of British Artists, where he exhibited regularly.
Many of his paintings were engraved for The Sporting Magazine and other journals. Laporte enjoyed a wide and prosperous patronage, and was appointed ‘Animal Painter’ to the Duke of Cumberland and the King of Hanover. His paintings can be found in many German museums.
His painting technique is idiosyncratic and easily recognised: it is highly toned and colourful, with the paint applied in thin translucent washes – presumably reflecting the water-colourist’s technique which he derived from his father.