Artwork Description / Detail
Moore-Jones enlisted in the British section of the NZEF (New Zealand Expeditionary Force) in 1914, aged 47, and served as a Sapper in the 1st Company NZ Engineers at Gallipoli. There, he worked for Lieutenant-General Sir William Birdwood’s Anzac Corps Headquarters as a topographical draughtsman. He also worked on a large series of watercolours and drawings of the Anzac landscape, some of which were later completed in England. He was wounded in 1915.
Moore-Jones exhibited his artworks in London, including a private showing to the Royal Family. A portfolio of his prints was published in 1916, and an exhibition of his works toured New Zealand in 1917 to raise funds for the RSA. The New Zealand Government turned down the opportunity to purchase this collection, which was later purchased by Australia for the Australian War Memorial.
Moore-Jones died of burns received while rescuing people from the Hamilton Hotel fire in 1922.
Plate No.7. – THE OUTPOST nos. 1,2 and 3. ANZAC LEFT.
As sketch No.6 shows us the extreme right of the positions held after the landing, so the present sketch shows us the extreme left. This is the country north of Walker’s Ridge towards Suvla as it appeared in the early days before the foreshore became lined with trenches, store depots and dressing stations, and the hill faces scored with the work of the engineers, Poppies were still in bloom, and a profusion of wild flowers covered the hill sides.
In the foreground is to be seen part of a trench which, issuing from Walker’s Ridge, connected these outposts with the main lines. This was part of an old Turkish trench for the defence of this section of the shore, where they had thought it possible we might attempt a landing. At first trenches were only wide enough to permit of the passage of one man. Later they were widened and deepened for protection against the ubiquitous sniper, and in the end the engineers widened them so as to permit the passage of transport and guns – no mean task even when one allows for the fact that the cliffs are composed of sandstone. Upon the first hill on the right was established No.1 Outpost, and it was known by the new Zealanders as Nelson Hill from the fact that it was captured by the boys from Nelson. Some of them sleep on its top.
The next point is Fisherman’s Hut, and just beyond it, the entrance to Saxi Beit Dere. Beyond this is No.2 Outpost on the shore-end of the hill, and old No.3 Outpost is further inland on the same height. This position (old No.23) was retaken by the Turks and very strongly fortified, so a new No.3 Outpost was established on the lower hill to extreme left of the line of hills.
Just beyond No.3 Outpost is the entrance to Chailak Dere, and out beyond this in the later operations were Taylor Hollow and Walden’s point, the later operations were Taylor’s Hollow and Walden’s Point, the latter the furthest point occupied by the troops from Anzac. The main Anafarta range of hills shows on the horizon, and below them during the early months the Turk still tilled his field and in July reaped his harvest. We get a glimpse of Suvla Bay, Salt Lake, and the north-western end of Chocolate Hill. Throughout the early months the New Zealanders held these isolated outposts. No.2 was also known as Maori post, as it was held by the Maori contingent. Before the great attack in August large quantities of stores and ammunition were collected here. It was along Saxli Beit and Chailak Dere that the Right Covering Column and right Assaulting Column proceeded to their attack on Chunuk Bair, and at fisherman’s Hut the 16thh Clearing Station was established. Many of the men who fell in this operation are buried here; the graves protected by barbed wire.
The August operations are better followed in Sketch No. 10.
Sapper H. Moore-Jones
Taken from Sketches made at ANZAC, 1916