Raymond McIntyre was born into an educated and affluent Christchurch family and studied intermittently at Canterbury College School of Art (1894-1908). In 1905 he joined the Sketch Club, a progressive artists group in Christchurch and in 1906 he was introduced to English impressionism at the International Exhibition in Hagley Park.
His elegant and decorative work also revealed an admiration for the Aesthetic Movement and as his art the subject of increasing public criticism in Christchurch he moved to London in 1909. Taught by Walter Sickert, he became a part of the English art scene, exhibiting with the New English Art Club. However, in 1923 he stopped painting and became a .n art reviewer for the Architectural Review. He achieved belated recognition in New Zealand with the inclusion of his work in the 1940 National Centennial Exhibition of New Zealand Art.
McIntyre’s work is held in the collections of the Museum of New Zealand – Te Papa Tongarewa and the Christchurch Art Gallery, amongst others.